Chinese Shredded Chicken Soup Recipe
- 3 pounds chicken breasts
- 1 bunch scallions (about 10), the white and light green parts only
- 3 quarts water for the soup
- 1 quart water for softening the noodles
- 2 cups fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 pound cellophane noodles
- 3 or more teaspoons soy sauce
- Cut the chicken breasts in half, then place them in the freezer for about 1/2 hour. They are easier to slice thin when almost frozen.
- Boil 3 quarts of the water in the pot which will hold the soup.
- Boil the remaining quart of water in a separate pot.
- With a very sharp knife, slice the chicken breasts crosswise into slices about 1/4" thick. Put into the water boiling in the soup pot.
- Depending on the variety of mushrooms, slice them or cut them into pieces and put them in the pot.
- Put the cellophane noodles in the second pot of boiling water, turn off the heat, and let them soften for about ten minutes.
- Cut the noodles into pieces about 4 inches long.
- When the chicken slices have been simmering about 20 minutes, add the noodles to the soup.
- Slice the scallions thinly on a diagonal.
- Add the scallions, turn off the heat, stir in the soy sauce, and serve.
- Can also be made with tofu strips instead of chicken slices, in a base of either water or chicken stock.
- High Tides Seafood Grill Gingered Shrimp Won Ton Soup
- Hot and Sour Tofu Soup
- Kung Pao Chicken
- Mandarin Restaurant Crispy Chicken With Lemon Sauce
- P.F. Chang's China Bistro Firecracker Shrimp