Mexicali Dip Recipe
This Mexican-flavored bean dip is mouthwatering. Serve it with fresh vegetables and/or chips.
- 1 cup canned garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup light sour cream
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 small clove garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon light mayonnaise
- Salt and white pepper, to taste (optional)
- Tabasco sauce (optional)
- In a food processor, puree garbanzo beans with sour cream, cilantro, garlic, lemon juice and mayonnaise until smooth. If dip is too thick, gradually add additional teaspoons each of sour cream and mayonnaise, just until right consistency is reached. Transfer to a container with a tight lid. Season to taste with salt, pepper and Tabasco sauce, if desired.
- If time is not a constraint, cover and refrigerate 24 hours before serving. Bring dip to room temperature before serving.
- When ready to serve, transfer dip to an attractive bowl and place in center of a large serving platter. Surround with assorted cut-up vegetables (carrots, different colored bell peppers, sugar snap peas, cucumbers, broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini spears, sliced jicama) and, if desired, baked tortilla chips or whole-grain crackers.
- Per serving (2 tablespoons): calories: 50; protein: 2 grams; total fat: 1 gram; saturated fat: less than 1 gram; sodium: 110 mg; carbohydrate: 8 grams; dietary fiber: 1 gram