Dried Hay Beans Recipe
Simple recipe for traditional Mennonite dish.
- 3 cups dried green string beans
- 1/4 pound bacon or salt pork
- Dash of pepper (optional)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Water to cover
- Soak dried beans in warm water for 1 hour. Cut bacon or salt pork into small cubes and fry in a Dutch oven or heavy saucepan until lightly browned. Add beans and partially cover with water. Cook until tender and most of the water is absorbed.
- These beans are still made in many Mennonite families.
- NOTE: You can also cook fresh green beans this way.