Apple Muffins Recipe
My kids love apple muffins for breakfast. I love to make these muffins in the fall when apples are in season.
- 1 cup 100% white whole wheat flour
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 large apples, peeled, cored, and coarsely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Grease and flour a 12-cup muffin tin and set aside.
- Mix together the flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon, and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, cream the butter and add the granulated sugar and 1/4 cup of the brown sugar. Beat until fluffy. Add the egg and mix well. Mix in the buttermilk gently. (If you over-mix, the buttermilk will cause the mixture to curdle.) Stir in the dry ingredients and fold in the apple chunks.
- Divide the batter evenly among the prepared muffin cups, sprinkling the remaining 1/4 cup brown sugar on top. Bake for 10 minutes, turn the heat down to 400 degrees F, and bake for an additional 15 to 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.
- Cool the muffins for 5 minutes in the tin, then turn them out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Raspberry Vanilla Hazelnut Muffins
- Pecan Muffins
- Spoon Bread Spud Muffins
- Poppy Seed Muffins
- Cherry Muffins