Basil Onion Bread Recipe
easy to make
- 1 large Spanish onion, quartered
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups unbleached flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 large green onions with tops, chopped
- 1 tablespoon basil leaves
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- Grease and flour a 12 x 4-inch bread pan. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Chop onion; heat oil in saucepan. Add onion and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Combine flour, baking powder, salt and soda in bowl. Mix.
- Combine cooked onion, green onion and basil in bowl; blend. Add eggs and sugar and mix for one minute. Add buttermilk and vinegar and blend. Add dry ingredients and blend until flour is incorporated. Scrape bowl down once. Spoon batter into pan and spread evenly. Bake until loaf is brown, about 40 to 45 minutes.
- Cool in pan 10 minutes. Turn out on wire rack to cool.
- Makes 1 loaf.