Spanakopita is a Greek picnic traditional favorite made from filo dough and fresh spinach. It's savory taste and finger-food shape makes this side dish perfect for picnics.
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup green onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh dill, chopped
- 8 oz. baby spinach, washed and completely drained
- 6 oz. feta cheese
- 16 oz. cottage cheese
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 eggs
- Filo dough (in sheets)
- Before you begin, make sure the spinach is thoroughly drained. The best way to ensure all of the liquid is gone is to place portions of the spinach in a paper towel, and squeeze. Also, while you work with filo dough, make sure to cover with a damp cloth so as not to allow the dough to dry out.
- In this recipe, you can mix in your other favorite greens as well. Swiss chard is a great choice and is mostly in season during the summer months. If making this dish during the fall or winter, use greens in season during those months, such as kale.
- 1) Preheat the oven to 425F
- 2) Mix yellow onion, green onion, parsley, dill, spinach, oil, feta cheese, cottage cheese, in a large bowl. Add salt and pepper to taste. Mix in the 2 eggs to finish the mixture.
- 3) Grease 9x13 glass dish with olive oil. Place 2 sheets of filo dough down on the dish and brush lightly with oil. Scatter 1/5 of the spinach mixture over the filo dough. Place another sheet of filo dough on top of the spinach mixture and again brush lightly with oil. Scatter another 1/5 of the spinach mixture over the filo dough and repeat layering until spinach mixture gone.
- 4) Finish the dish with 3 layers of filo dough on top, and brush again with olive oil. Place in oven until golden brown, about 25 min. Allow to cool 10 min and cut into squares and serve.
- Rancho Baked Beans
- Cabbage Rolls With Sour Cream Sauce
- Eddie Matney's Rock Shrimp Spanakopita
- Red Chili Biscuits