Mama's Mexican Corn Bread Recipe
Layered taco meat, cheese, corn bread
- MEAT MIXTURE:
- 1 lb ground meat
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup bell pepper, chopped
- CORN BREAD:
- 1 cup corn meal
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 1/4 cup buttermilk (milk + 2 Tbsp. vinegar)
- 1/4 cup jalapeno peppers, chopped
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup variety colored bell peppers, chopped
- 6 to 8oz, monterey jack cheese, sliced or shredded
- Brown ground meat with chili powder, salt, garlic, onions & bell pepper.
- Mix corn meal with next 7 ingredients & stir together thoroughly. Add peppers, frozen corn & onions.
- Spread meat mixture in 13 x 9 casserole dish. Spread shredded cheese evenly on top or lay slice cheese on top. Pour corn bread mixture over all & bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 45 minutes.
- I have experimented with this recipe over time & it has finally evolved into this great rendition! ENJOY!
- Chialingo's Fried Cheese With Epazote And Tomatillo Sauce
- Bean Enchiladas
- El Paso Burgers
- Green Chili Enchilada Toss
- Mexican Chicken with Corn and Black Beans